Friday, May 30, 2014

Tess Says No... Again

    Good morning! After sleeping on it, I decided to go ahead, and get a cordless grinder. I needed it to finish the canoe, anyway, and it's pretty close to that point.
    I went to Sears for the "Craftsman" model. I was always impressed, in the past, with the performance of their tools. and their warranty. When I got to camp, I took a long look at Tesla, before I got grinding. She looked like she was ready for it, so I opened the box, and charged the two lithium ion batteries... the best they had. 
    I waited, impatiently, for the first battery to charge. It was the bigger, of the two. When it was done, I put the smaller battery in the charger, and got to it. Not for long...
    To my GREAT disappointment, this tool FAILED, miserably! The grinder came with a disc... a metal-cutter. I wasn't aware of this, and had bought a masonry disc. They didn't have much of a selection, at the store. I tried the one that came with it, on the bow... no good. It was hardly grinding the cottonwood, and the disc wore-down, IMMEDIATELY, like I was grinding BRICKS or something. Frustrated, I through the other masonry disc on. It was working a little better, and I started into the area in front of the stern seat. Hardly digging, I STARTED to smooth her out. Then, suddenly... nothing. It just stopped. I had used it for 10 or 15 minutes, and it was DONE! This was SUPPOSED to be the "good" battery!
    With virtually NO confidence, at this point, I grabbed the other battery, when charged. I tried again. I don't think it lasted FIVE MINUTES! I tried smoothing the bow, and the starboard gunwales (inside). Then, suddenly... NOTHING... again. I didn't even get a half-hour's work done, for the day. Man, was I PISSED!
    In the end, I realized what I already knew... Tesla doesn't LIKE electricity (must be the whole "struck-by-lightning thing)! This is the second electric tool that she rejected. I should have known better. I took the tool back, with no problems. Sears is good about that, as I mentioned. I just wish it had worked.
    I'm up early, to go get my new ADZE! One thing's for sure... TODAY, I'll be CHOPPIN'!
                                           Canoe! Canoe!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment