Sunday, May 11, 2014

Progress!

    Good morning! Made a little progress, today! It was a beautiful day, in Colorado. I got motivated, as I wanted to see Tesla's lines. My goal was to get rid of the BIG humps on the top of the canoe. I'm trying to make it easier to see her lines, so I stop looking at her with my head half-cocked! This is habit, now, from working on her bottom for so long.
    As I dug in, I learned more about her. The biggest bulge, towards the stern, had already shown some rot. As I dug down, her beautiful grain was revealed! Burls appeared, then disappeared, as I kept hackin' at it. Slowly, a BIG, beautiful knot presented itself. This, once again, has me thinking. It seems to be the HEART of the canoe.
    The only way I can KEEP this, if it IS, indeed, the heart, is to make the top... the bottom! Remember... as I worked on the other side, I left the door "open," to make IT the top. Now that I've evened-out the bottom(?), and exposed her heart, I'll have to make that decision... once and for all!
    The answer will have to wait, until Monday. It's Mother's Day, and I will be spending it with my Mom. She's been very supportive of this project, in particular! I came to visit, over the Winter holidays, and wound-up staying... because Tesla found me! It's been wonderful, to be able to spend time with her, as I've been out in Cali for a couple of years, now. I'll be bouncing back out of here, soon, to paddle the Missouri,,, AFTER I finish Tess. In the meantime, I will enjoy the home-cooked meals! Love is here.
    See ya, tomorrow! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
                                          

                                            Canoe! Canoe! 




No comments:

Post a Comment