Friday, May 9, 2014

I Saw Something...

    Good morning! Kelly brought over some more electrical cord, yesterday, so I could give the chainsaw a whirl! After running about 200 feet of cord... I got cuttin'...
    The first thing I noticed was a lack of power. It worked, but felt more like a big razor, than a chainsaw! The other, bigger problem, was the length of the bar. It's only about 18 inches, I'm guessing. I had to take smaller chunks out, in reality. I kept making cuts in the stern, and across the tops of the gunwales. I had much difficulty cutting all the way through, because of the short bar. It was very slow-going.
    A new face showed-up in Canoe Camp, in the afternoon. I can't remember his name, but he's a very gifted singer/musician, according to him! He chimed in, right away, about the project. He questioned the length of the cord, as I had. The owner of the saw told me that he ran that much, regularly, and it would be fine. It was working... that's all I know. Well, this musician guy brought FEAR to Wheat Ridge Canoe Camp, and Miss Ellie succumbed to it. I had to put the chainsaw away! I had all these cuts... HALF-done... and couldn't FINISH them! This was more than a little disappointing. It pissed me OFF!
    As they walked away, I let my anger flow through me... via the ADZE. I chopped hard, and I chopped long... through rain and hail (again), until I was just too wet, and cold. The rot is extensive, in the stern, and on the starboard side, where the lightning scar is. It's still unclear, whether there's good wood there, or not! I'm planning on cleaning up her top, today, if Tess lets me. By the end of the day, hopefully, I realize the size of my canoe!
                                     Canoe! Canoe!










No comments:

Post a Comment