Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Flippin' Out!

    Good morning! What a day, yesterday! I got to Wheat Ridge Canoe Camp fairly early, and looked for Miss Ellie's tow strap. Randy volunteered to help, with his truck. As we were preparing to flip Tess, Miss Ellie offered her BIG chain. THIS is what we needed!
    Before we got to it, I had raked the area, cleaning up a few "stray" chips. I made two piles of chips, so that we could roll Tesla up onto them. I dug through, where I could, underneath the canoe. We fed the chain through, and attached it to Randy's pickup. It worked like a dream! She rolled right over, onto her flat bottom! Wow!
    I finally got to see the top of the canoe, which I only saw before, when the tree was still standing... about a month ago! Her scars are part of her story, and I want to integrate them into her design. There are some interesting things going on, here. She's got a knot that was sticking out a bit, and split, I presume, when we dropped her. The funky wood in her stern DOES, in fact, go through to the top-side. This is my biggest concern. I still believe there is good wood there, but, as I suspected, I'll have to make her a little shorter. I'm confident we still have a canoe, here.
    To get a better assessment, I'm going to borrow a chainsaw. This will save me time, as I peel back the stern. I've decided to rough the inside out, as well, to speed-up the process, and save my aching back. The adze will still be moving a LOT of chips, though! I don't usually carve on a "time-frame," but I'm SUPPOSED to be on the Missouri River, in Knotty The Dugout Canoe... already! 
    Anyway, I'll be heading to the canoe, shortly. I'm uploading the first VIDEO of Tesla, as I write. Looking forward to making BIG progress, once I get a hold of Joe... and his chainsaw.
                                      Canoe! Canoe!













No comments:

Post a Comment