Saturday, April 5, 2014

PILE OF CHIPS

    Good morning! I'm FEELING IT, this morning, as I knew I would. I really got at it, yesterday, and made a pretty good pile of chips! I worked the stern part of the hull, and moved towards the bow. The first step, ideally, is always to flatten the bottom of the canoe. This gives you a good place to use as a reference point, for all the other dimensions of the canoe. 
    This baby's W I D E ! This is ALWAYS a good thing, as width is what gives the canoe STABILITY. Of course, it also makes for a roomier, more comfortable canoe! I'm still not sure how long she'll be. I have to stay on track, and keep working on the hull, today. As I flatten 'er out, she'll show me what she's got. Yesterday, she showed me a built-in BOW LINE. This canoe, like the Barter Faire Canoe, has a metal WIRE embedded in her bow! My goal, as always, is to work WITH her unique properties, and incorporate them into the canoe's form. She may, very likely, have an armored tip, on her bow! It's really pretty cool!
    As much as I'm hurting, I got up early, today! My body clock is set to the sun, and I'm up at sunrise, roughly, on a daily basis. I'm not into "time," so much, My back is hurting quite a bit. My blisters and wrists aren't, at the moment. The impact of the chops, especially on the knots, is BRUTAL on your joints! There's a small, but very hard knot, on her stern. It's going away. From what I've seen, that's her ONLY knot! This is wonderful news, as my redwood, and the BIG PINE, both had plenty of 'em! 
    This tree is quite juicy! The stern end, which was exposed for two years, is rather dry. However, a short way in, she has plenty of moisture. I'm figuring out my plan for dealing with her center checks, and hope top keep the ends solid. Peter Tack, up in Curlew, gave me all sorts of creative ideas. I am thankful, for the lessons he taught me, as well as the lessons from Melissa and Tom Rose. If you're not learning new things, you're not GROWING, as a human being! Life is good!!!
    Gotta get choppin'... Canoe! Canoe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment