Saturday, September 21, 2013

TOWN

Good morning!
    Well, I went to town, yesterday. I wanted to chop, but I also have to go to town, when I can. I needed to get some decent shoes for cooler, wetter weather. All I had with me were river shoes. They're nice ones, but they are, by design, full of HOLES!  That's not so good for the mountains in winter! So, Melissa wanted to go to Colville, which is across the Columbia, near Kettle Falls. I'd be able to run into my Voyages brothers, with any luck...
    The drive over Sherman Pass was beautiful, We came down, passing the road to Inchelium, where we had our marvelous Canoe Camp, last Fall. Headed on to the bridge, just down-river from our Canoe Camp in Kettle Falls. We passed the road to that camp, and I saw the guys had set camp at the Discovery Center, instead, this time. They're getting ready to make a David Thompson-style canoe, and proceed on, up the Columbia. I didn't see their rigs, so we went to town.
    We got supplies, including my boots and socks, and food items. I found a habanero salsa...MMMmmmm!!! Had a fine Mexican dinner, in town. On the way home, we stopped by the Voyages Camp, again, but they weren't there. Tried a call to Adam, but no answer. I didn't have the other numbers with me, so we took off. No worries! I'll run into them, soon enough. I've got to take care of mt redwood dugout, Ol' Red, back at their home, in Index. I'm working on that...
    I've got a lot to figure out, here. My communications have been severed with my old roomies in Cali, so I'll have to write an actual LETTER! If they're game, I'll be fetching another redwood off the Eel River, this winter, and making another canoe at their house. I've got to take care of things back in Denver, as well. My storage unit there is eating me alive, but I have some treasures in there... Lewis and Clark treasures. Buffalo robe. Clothing. Gear. JOURNALS. I need to have a real HOME to put this stuff. I'm having trouble affording any kind of rent, at this point. My eyes aren't exactly good, and my back sucks, as you know. Between the pain, and the numbness, it's a constant challenge! I have to pace myself when I chop, and can only do so many hours in a day. Thankfully, the tree is PATIEMT! 
    Waking up to rain, it seems to be letting up. Today... I chop. 
                                       CANOE! CANOE!
   
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment