Thursday, September 5, 2013

    Good morning!
    I finally put some linseed oil on the bow end, and on the various knots that will be part of the canoe. Hopefully, this will keep either from drying out. If the end doesn't "check", or split open, the rest of the tree might stay together, too. The knots will dry up, and shrink, if they aren't sealed. Most carvers don't like the knots. I've found, however, that they add character to the canoe! They are KNOT a problem!
    Keeping my options open, because of the ips engraver beetles, I went to an island on Curlew Lake, today. I was introduced to another beautiful pine, blown over in the same micro-burst that got the BIG PINE, by Madilane Perry. This one wasn't quite as big, but definitely could make a fine canoe! I could see a 15-17ft dugout here, which is a size I like. We may have another project, here!
    On the way back, in a sailboat Tom borrowed from our friend, Sandy, we noticed ANOTHER big tree in the water! Tom brought us in, and I gave it a look. Not bad! It MIGHT be big enough for yet ANOTHER project! One advantage to THIS tree, is that it's IN the water! We could cut it off, and drag it where we want! HMmmmm...
    In the end, the BIG PINE wins out! I'll take my chances with the beetles, and, hopefully, have a beautiful DUGOUT CANOE, when it's all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment