Monday, September 9, 2013

FOG

Good morning!

    Woke up to a thick fog, covering the lake. Down in the kettle, on the other side of the house, I can still see my tent, and the tree. The moisture in the air is keeping the tree from drying out. THIS, I know, for fact.
    Yesterday,  I continued carving out and away from the deep spot in the stern. I worked my way to the next group of knots, digging down, as I went. I feel like continuing this pattern, and giving the tree more defined lines. We'll see what the tree thinks about that, shortly. The good news is, I found juice in the tree, when I approached the first knot! It makes it harder to chop, but will save the tree! We want it to dry, eventually, to get the excess weight out... but not yet! "Checking" is BAD! 
    My hope, again, is that one of the tree guys shows up, today. Once I get the tree up top, on flat ground, I will coat her with linseed oil. This is VERY important, to keep her from drying out too quickly, and "checking", or splitting. I will also have more options, as far as where I carve! Right now, I must chop from the port side, up-hill of the tree, on a slope. Not easy!
     Anyway, I'm doing what I can, and she's coming along... slowly, but surely! We're on "river time", after all! Life is GOOD! 

                                        CANOE! CANOE!

No comments:

Post a Comment